Friday, March 5, 2010

It's Official!

We have been chosen by the most magnificent young woman that is planning to place her baby with Robby and I. We are so beyond thrilled, I can't even describe the emotions that we are feeling right now. It has been a long road to get to where we are but I wouldn't change it for anything in the world! A lot of you don't know the full story, so I thought I would share it here. :)

We "officially" began the process to adopt in August of last year. We went to our first meeting with LDS Family Services and were excited to get started. We started the mountain of paper work and wondered if it would ever be finished. We started telling people more that we were going to adopt. I told everyone. :) I blogged about it, I told my friends, coworkers, strangers on the street, I told the Young Women in the ward, I was just so excited! On Halloween, we went to a party at the Nolan's and we were talking to our Bishop and he told us that there was a young woman in the ward that was pregnant. He wanted to know if we would be willing to talk to her about adoption. We quickly said we would (I tell everyone about it anyways). Robby and I both talked about what it would be like to have a young woman place with in our own ward and we were both a little hesitant to even think about it.

It finally was in November (after a few times that we thought we were finished, but there was yet ANOTHER paper to fill out). We were so excited! Then, we find out that there was a miscommunication and our paper work wasn't turned in until almost a month later... In the mean time, we attended a Family Support Adoption activity and sat next to a couple who had their baby placed through a young woman in their own ward. I asked her about it, and she said that she loved it! She loves having her close, they are good friends, and the only hard thing about it, was that the young woman didn't come around very often. I immediately began to think of what it would be like to have our birth mother be that close. I was instantly comforted and realized that everything would work out perfectly.

On the Sunday before Thanksgiving, we got a call. I still think about this call often. It was the young woman in our ward and she wanted to talk to us about adoption. Robby immediately became the rationale one and said that it was probably her just wanting to ask about adoption, but I was convinced (and hopeful) that it would be something more.

We went over to her family's house. We instantly fell in love with her and her family. They are such wonderful people! The mother had actually gone through infertility and adopted 4 of her 7 kids (including the young woman who is expecting). Already we had a bond. She wanted the best for her little grandbaby. They all love their grandbaby and wanted her to have a mom and a dad. But, they also wanted to be involved. So I bore my testimony about open adoption. I told them that we wanted to have the whole birth family involved because there can never be too many people to love a baby. We left hopeful and already I felt like this young woman was supposed to be in my life. I wasn't 100% sure she was going to be OUR birth mother, but I knew she would play an important part in our lives.

Time went by, the young woman was still a little hesitant about adoption. She loved her baby so much and couldn't imagine placing for adoption. We talked a few times, but were unsure of how it was going to move forward. So I was just her friend. I talked to her at church, I brought teh family muffins for Christmas, I called her and emailed her to see how she was doing, I was just there for her if she needed me.

In the mean time, we heard from a few potential adoptions but nothing really stuck. We were still hopeful but (being me) I was becoming impatient. I asked the young woman if she wanted to go to the movies with me. She did, and we had a blast! We saw Dear John (and cried through most of it) and then we went and made a Build a Bear together. We talked and laughed and really got to know each other better. I don't know about her, but I felt so comfortable with her. She is a doll and I seriously love her like a sister.

She started going to the Birth Mother group at LDS Family Services and we saw such a light come into her. She talked more about placing. It still wasn't official yet but I was even more excited. We talked more and sat by each other at church.

Then, we met the Birth Father. We were TERRIFIED to meet him because he hasn't been too ok with the idea of adoption. But we met with him, the expectant young woman, and with her counselor. We talked to him and asked him a few questions and just tried to be really friendly. We are still not sure what he thinks of us, but we hope it's good. :)

I was still scared to ask her if she had chosen us. I didn't want to be impatient but it's my nature. :) So, she had an appointment for an ultrasound and I asked her if I could come with. She told me she'd love if I could come so I met her there. We got to see her beautiful baby girl and I was instantly in love. Baby Girl wouldn't show her face, but I saw her little heart and knew that she already had mine.

Finally, Yesterday, I asked her if I could blog about her. (Weird I know but I wanted to tell the whole world about her). Then she told me that she told her caseworker that she had officially chosen us to be her baby's parents so they were going to take us off the It's About Love site. My jaw seriously dropped. I was in such a state of shock. I couldn't believe it.

So, it's official. Baby Girl is due sometime in May (she is measuring bigger than her supposed due date of May 24 but more along the lines of May 5th or 6th). Our amazing young woman is Kayla and she is seriously the sweetest, most loving, funniest person you could ever meet. We are so humbled and thankful that she has chosen us to raise her Baby Girl and are so excited for this journey. There are still a couple more months and still a lot of things that need to be done, but we couldn't be happier!

16 comments:

Billy and Stephanie said...

That is GREAT news!!! I'm so happy for you and so happy that everything has worked out. I know it's been a long hard process but in the end it hads paid off. I can't wait to hear and see more. Good luck!!!

Dallan and Ashley said...

Again so happy for you guys and what a wonderful outcome! May is going to come sooo fast!! Thanks for sharing! Continue to keep us updated.

Niki said...

Ahhh!! I'm so excited for you guys. You're are both naturals with babies and will be great!! Congratulations!!!

Jami said...

Congratulations!! I am so happy for you two!!!

Heather said...

Angee, I am so happy for you! When I saw your post on FB my heart skipped a beat and I wanted to cry in happiness for you! What's also so exciting for me is that you'll be getting your baby girl shortly before I get my baby boy! Again, I'm very happy for you both!

Anonymous said...

So happy for you guys! Thanks for sharing the details, the curiosity was killing me after seeing Robby's facebook yesterday! It's amazing to watch God's hand in it all, isn't it? Best of luck over the next few months, keep us posted.

Amy said...

That is so wonderful! Congratulations again! And Good Luck!

Jenn said...

So happy for you Angee!! That seriously is the best news ever! Totally meant to be that she chose you and your hubby. :) That little girl is going to be so loved!! I can't wait to see updates and pics of your little one you must keep us informed! Such a wonderful blessing. :)

Andee said...

CONGRATS!! I'm so excited for you!!

Taylor and Kristin Williams said...

WHOO HOO!!! Julia can't wait to have another little girl friend. :)

Jenna said...

Angee, I am so happy for you guys. How wonderful!

Karissa said...

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited for you! Congratulations - you will be one amazing mother! =)

Courtney said...

So very happy for you!!!

Alicia Phelps said...

That is such a beautiful story! I'm so happy that you are finally get that little girl you have been dreaming about! Congratulations! You will be a fabulous mother! Our little girls will be about a month apart. :) How fun! I can't wait to hear more about your baby girl!

Sara said...

So happy-appy-appy for you!!!! Can't wait for our baby girls to be friends. :)

Shane, Meg, CJ, RJ, and AL said...

Beautiful! Happy tears here as I read your story. We are so happy for all of you! It sounds like you have an amazing opportunity to continue to develop a wonderful relationship! What a LOVED little girl Kayla is carrying! :)